Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Confidence Restored

After yesterday’s unpleasantness I decided to reevaluate my approach to poker.

Not my approach to how I play AJ after a raise or when to limp with aces, but what I will call my lifestyle approach to poker. Up until yesterday I had been sleeping in real late, rarely showering or eating, and generally living pretty unhealthily (is that a word?).

I decided that if poker is going to be my “job” I should treat it as such. I have to be in a healthy state of mind as well as body. I decided I will shower and eat before every session. I will also devote my entire psyche to the game at hand, with no alt-tabbed news or “entertainment” web pages open. Seems pretty simple but I distinctly remember when I was getting spanked over and over again at the tables yesterday that I almost didn’t care. I was completely immersed in some webpage, was hungry and didn’t feel all that well. I concluded this morning that this attributed to my losses and will not allow such externalities to continue to interfere.

Today, I got up at a reasonable hour, showered, had breakfast and spent an hour reading some blogs and other pages before sitting down to the tables. After 90 minutes I was up $200 and feeling real good.

A good lesson learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home