Friday, November 25, 2005

How the mighty can fall

A day can start off so simple, and end so tragic.

It was Friday today, and I decided I just wanted to finish up my deposit bonus on Bet365 and watch movies or something all day. I only had to play 90 more raked hands to pick up another $100 bonus on top of the $100 bonus they already gave me (it’s a very nice signup / monthly bonus they have going if you are interested).

So I sat down, playing only one table. When I started the day I was up $300 total in my account. A few hands and I’ll be up over $500 hopefully – at the very worst I’ll be cashing out with that $300 + the $100 bonus. So easy…

So I pick up aces on the third hand in and scoop a $77 pot. Very next hand I pick up AQ and hit the nut straight on the turn for a sweet $164 pot. I’m thinking, damn this life is good. Only a few more hands and I’ll be up and out of here. I’m telling myself, don’t do anything stupid, I just want to relax for the weekend.

And then, the death hand, KK shows up a few hands later, and of course I have to pick up a set on the turn, getting all my money in to his 6-T straight which his 78 fit oh so nicely in. And I’m now stuck 1 buy-in. FUCK.

I just wanted my damn deposit bonus, now I gotta break even or I’m going to be pissed all weekend. And I realize this is pretty irrational behavior for the special professional poker player that I am, but truthfully I am still pretty new at this, and booking wins means something too me even though in the back of my mind I know its just one long session.

I actually manage to double up again to get somewhat even and am feeling good again, when I pick up those two fuckers – the pocket aces that will go on to ruin me. I’m up against another big stack, whom I had been playing against all day and is pretty much the worst player I’ve ever played against. Flop comes king high rainbow. Long story short, we get our money in on the turn. He flips over K8 for "top pair", bu the river comes an ugly fucking 8 and I want to shoot myself. I just fought myself back to even and I’m stuck $400 again.

This was a recurring theme over the last 2 days that I’ve played on bet365. The players there are of two types. The extremely fishy ones and the super solid/tight ones playing 8 tables at once. I have a hard time dealing with the fishy ones since their calls tell you absolutely nothing about their hand, and I end up losing big pots to random 2 pairs and gutshots. Yea, I know that happens, and I should rejoice that I’m playing with fish to begin with. But for some reason every time I got up, I would be brought right back down the next hand - unreal.

So out of the 13 days that I’ve been doing this pro poker thing, I havn’t actually booked a loss, but today I’ll have to concede defeat, down $143. Tough loss, but I do need to deal with these losses with indifference, as they are all part of the long game that I play. I’m going to go over all my individual big losses in poker tracker and see how to improve, or how to lose less. I would hope to see that I got my money in with the best of it each big loss, but I doubt it. I imagine half the time I’ll have the goods and got sucked out and the other half I’ll have just made a bad call or read.

By studying these losses I’ll hopefully retain that information and when presented with that situation again I can make the correct play.

Fuck me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home