Friday, December 02, 2005

Maybe its me...

Or maybe it's just the nature of No Limit Hold'Em, but I'm starting to think that it is not a form of poker for a sustainable income. If you get your bankroll/buyin all in on the flop as a 90% favorite often, you eventually will lose - guess what, only 1 out of ten times. Sound like a good investment? Lets see how many times it has happened to me, shall we? And I appologize in advance for the typical whining / bad beat stories that plauge poker blogs worldwide, but hey, it's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

Seat 9: RikkiDee1 [ KC,KD ]
Seat 10: MouMurda
ANTES/BLINDS
RikkiDee1 posts blind ($1), MouMurda posts blind ($2).

PRE-FLOP
swede104 folds
thacrill folds
BerkeleyBoss bets $7
_zorro folds
marys lamb folds
Cubbies1979 folds
gbpoker calls $7
hathot calls $7
RikkiDee1 bets $22
MouMurda folds
BerkeleyBoss folds
gbpoker calls $16
hathot calls $16.

FLOP [board cards 4S,3D,6D ]
RikkiDee1 bets $50
gbpoker folds
hathot bets $175.90
and is all-in
RikkiDee1 calls $122 and is all-in.

TURN [board cards 4S,3D,6D,10S ]

RIVER [board cards 4S,3D,6D,10S,9C ]

SHOWDOWN
hathot shows [ 9H,9D ]
RikkiDee1 shows [ KC,KD ]
hathot wins $422.90.

NEXT

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [Ac As]
socalengr: folds
CashGalore: folds
RikkiDee: raises $4 to $6
Archibald: raises $10 to $16
mark3313: folds
sjakal1: folds
RikkiDee: calls $10
*** FLOP *** [Jd 8s 3c]
RikkiDee: checks
Archibald: bets $14
RikkiDee: raises $145.60 to $159.60 and is all-in
Archibald: calls $145.60
*** TURN *** [Jd 8s 3c] [Qd]
*** RIVER *** [Jd 8s 3c Qd] [2d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RikkiDee: shows [Ac As] (a pair of Aces)
Archibald: shows [Qc Qs] (three of a kind, Queens)

MORE MORE

Spiritbear posted the small blind - $1.00
jocke02 posted the big blind - $2.00
** Dealing card to RikkiDee1: Ace of Hearts, Ace of Spades
jayrmoney called - $2.00
RikkiDee1 raised - $8.00
RazzleD called - $8.00
PetiteMachin folded
Spiritbear called - $8.00
jocke02 folded
jayrmoney folded

** Dealing the flop: 5 of Hearts, King of Spades, 7 of Diamonds
Spiritbear bet - $34.00
RikkiDee1 raised - $102.00
RazzleD folded
Spiritbear called - $102.00

** Dealing the turn: Queen of Hearts
Spiritbear went all-in - $26.16
RikkiDee1 called - $26.16
Spiritbear shows: 8 of Spades, King of Clubs

** Dealing the river: 8 of Diamonds
Spiritbear wins $281.32 from the main pot

Actually figured I was up against KQ at least. Lets see, he was down to 5 outs there, getting better.

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [5h 6h]
luckylinda73: calls $2
siamesern: folds
bouh: folds
Mawnstroe: raises $4 to $6
King James10: calls $5
RikkiDee: calls $4
luckylinda73: calls $4
*** FLOP *** [9h Ks Ah]
King James10: checks
RikkiDee: checks
luckylinda73: checks
Mawnstroe: bets $14
King James10: folds
RikkiDee: calls $14
luckylinda73: folds
*** TURN *** [9h Ks Ah] [2h]
RikkiDee: checks
Mawnstroe: bets $20
RikkiDee: raises $152 to $172 and is all-in
Mawnstroe: calls $99 and is all-in
*** RIVER *** [9h Ks Ah 2h] [9c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RikkiDee: shows [5h 6h] (a flush, Ace high)
Mawnstroe: shows [Ad Ac] (a full house, Aces full of Nines)
RikkiDee said, "asdn"
Mawnstroe collected $287 from pot

That one wasn't as bad, he had 10 outs at least.

There are others, not as devastating though due to low opponent stacks, but I assure you, still painfull. Perhaps I should stay away from the all in move, but each time I did it I was about 90% certain I had the best hand (and 90% sure they would call) based on my opponents I was playing against. The mathematical side of my brain knows that all the moves I made were +EV, but my emotional, money grubbing side wants to beat the shit out of my math side. I suppose playing fixed limit would limit these big swings, but you also get sucked out more often as there is no way to protect your hands, or make people draw against the odds. So for now, I'm going to continue. If these suckouts continue, I'm done with poker, at least as a full time income. Considering that these 4 hands happened in a 2 day span, you can understand my frustration.

Additionally, to those cynical readers (as I would be), I did not edit out any hands where I went in on the flop/turn with the worst hand. Even though this snapshot of my play may indicate that I pull the all in trigger every hand, I rarely will. I have about 4-5 other hands where I am actually all in, but that is about it. And after reviewing my hand histories for big wins when I was a big favorite, I found only a couple. Suprising considering the odds of the thing.

Ok I'm rambling, it's late, thanks for being a good listener.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a money management issue. Instead of getting your whole bankroll in as a 90% favorite, what if you got 10% in as a 90% favorite? 9 times you get compounded 10%. 1 time you lose 10%. Even if you lost every hand you would still have around 35% of your original bankroll left, but the chance of that are pretty slim.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home