Saturday, January 07, 2006

Hand of the year nominations

I know it is early in the year, but I’m putting this hand up for hand of the year. From an earlier 9 player, $30+3 buy in sit&go, 2nd hand of game.

Preflop: Hero is CO with Ad, 4s.
UTG calls t20, 1 fold, MP1 calls t20, MP2 raises to t60, MP3 calls t60, 1 fold, Button calls t60, SB raises to t160, BB calls t140, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to t1240, MP3 raises to t1810, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.
Flop: (t3470) Jh, 8h, Th (2 players)
Turn: (t3470) 5h (2 players)
River: (t3470) Tc (2 players)
Final Pot: t3470
MP2 has Kd Kc (two pair, kings and tens).
MP3 has 7h 9h (straight flush, jack high).
Outcome: MP3 wins t3470.

So MP3 ended up calling an early raise, then pushing all in after *2* more reraises, with 79s. Oh, and he flopped a straight flush to crack the early limp-reraisers kings. I’ve played a lot of tourneys, and seen a lot of really terrible play early on, but this by far takes the cake.

Here is the best hand I played today, lets see if we can identify the mistake!

Preflop: Hero is MP with 3c, 3h.
1 fold, Hero calls t30, 1 fold, SB completes, BB checks.
Flop: (t90) 4c, 6c, 2h (3 players)
SB bets t60, BB calls t60, Hero calls t60. <--no thats not even the mistake!
Turn: (t270) 5h (3 players)
SB bets t120, BB calls t120, Hero raises to t420, SB calls t300, BB folds.
River: (t1230) Td (2 players)
SB bets t150, Hero raises to t600, SB raises to t2150, Hero calls t1550.
Final Pot: t5530

Ok what do you think of my play? Yes, I’m aware I didn’t post the results of the hand. I want you to think of what my opponent could have had. Here, I make a pretty loose call on the flop with 33, hoping in vain that either I have the best hand, or that I hit my gutshot/trips to take a large pot. Well I got my wish! Hit my miracle gutshot on the turn, and raised due to the fact that 2 flush draws are out there. My opponent, after calling my turn reraise, decides to min-bet me on the river. And we all know how we feel about min bets! From my 6-tabling-not-really-paying-a-whole-lof-of-attention deduction, that was a classic weak lead from a player not wanting to get reraised, so what do we do when someone does that? We raise! Oh wait, he reraised me all in? What could he possibly have? He bet the flop and turn, and just called my turn reraise. I honestly couldn’t put him on any hand except a set. Another 3 didn’t make sense, and 37 didn’t make a whole lot of sense either. So I thought he is either a fish with a set or we are splitting this pot, hence, I call. Ok I’ll post the results now, since I can feel the suspense building to an unhealthy level.

SB has 7c 8h (straight, eight high).
Hero has 3c 3h (straight, six high).
Outcome: SB wins t5530.

Gasp?!? If the first hand I posted today with the straight flush was the worst played hand of the year, I would nominate this one that this guy pulled on me as the actual best played hand of the year. Other than the fact that he sort of risked a flush suckout on the turn by just calling my reraise, he played this to perfection. The added “weak lead” on the river was such a nice move by him that I have to stand up and applaud. He must know how I feel about weak leads. But it’s not like I called with top pair, I did have a straight, an almost impossible laydown I would imagine, but I would have rather not gone all in with it (3rd nuts and all). He must have put me on a 3 on the turn, damn, ownage.

Oh one last hand while I have it in memory. It’s not all that uncommon but it’s always funny when aces get cracked. With that introduction I give you, “aces cracked, in D minor”

(the D stands for DAMN)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Ad, As.
Hero calls t100, BB raises to t2200, Hero raises to t4710, BB calls t2485.
Flop: (t9395) Jd, 4c, 5d (2 players)
Turn: (t9395) 4s (2 players)
River: (t9395) Kc (2 players)
Final Pot: t9395

Hero has Ad As (two pair, aces and fours).
BB has Qc 4d (three of a kind, fours).
Outcome: BB wins t9395.

There is almost no feeling in the world as good as when you set a trap in no limit hold’em and it works. And there is an equally paralleled bad feeling when said trap backfires on you via suckout. I couldn’t help but laugh.

Oh, btw, Patriots dominate, put your house/car/bankroll on them for the superbowl. They sure did put Jacksonville and their joke schedule in their place didn't they? Booyakasha!

One last thing... I'm not sure if I like this hand converter thing. Any thoughts? I can't decide if its easier to read than just posting the hand histories. I think the colours could use some work too...

Aight, pace I’m outta hea

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lemme start off by saying I can get 2.5 to 1 on the colts in the super bowl I would put your whole b roll on that bro, NO one will beat them.

yeah that poker blogger/reader thing sucks shit its all wack ust post histories man sooooo much easier to read

WP

4:07 PM  
Blogger RikkiDee said...

Yea I agree, I'm not loving the hand converter. But some of those hand histories from stars can be confusing and ugly. Guess they'll have to do.

And no, Indy is losing to the pats, 2 weeks from now once the pats roll over denver. I'll take any wager, straight up!

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home