Monday, January 09, 2006

I prefer to stand and go

It’s sort of funny how this 6-tabling sit&go experiment started out, and more importantly how it has progressed. I started out playing 6-$5 games, just for fun one day, out of shear boredom. I hadn’t heard about anyone doing it, and thought that it would be an interesting adventure. I hadn’t had much experience multitabling at all up to that point. The most multitabling I had done was 2-3 at once playing cash games. But once I started actually winning more than I was losing, I decided to try higher limits. And so it went, from $5 to $10 to $20, until I started throwing in the odd $30 game here and there. Still showing an overall positive ROI (return on investment), I went all out and played 6-$30 games. And here we are today, still showing a positive ROI over hundreds of games played. Sure, it hurts when you bust out of 5 of 6 and get only third in the 6th, but they are rare occurrences, and are balanced out by the times you win 3 of 6 and place in the top 3 in the remaining 3. Overall, somehow someway, I’m guaranteeing myself a long run success rate at the original level of sit&go that I played.

This phenomenon, I realized today, shouldn’t even be possible. And when I say not possible, I mean not possible for me. It was obvious to me today, when my girlfriend called me from work. I was playing 6 as usual, and could barely hold a conversation with her while on the phone. This pattern of trying to talk on the phone while doing something has plagued me my whole life. I’ve been addicted to a lot of video games, and every time someone tried to call me while playing, I’ve been a non-responsive, can’t do two things at once, idiot.

So it made me wonder, how can a person as dumb as me, who can’t concentrate on 2 simple things at once like a phone call and a video game, dominate the sit&go tables (maybe dominate is too strong a word?)? I truthfully don’t know, and I imagine that someone who could do two things at once, would do much better than me. So while my multi-tabling skills have improved, my multi-tasking skills have remained constant. An interesting relationship!

Lately, I’ve been throwing in a few $50 sit&go’s in to the mix of my regular games. I’ve done this for each level of buy-in that I’ve moved up to. I stay on the one buy-in for like hundreds of games, then I gradually work the next level into the mix. I never thought I would even reach $30, let alone surpass it, but here we are. The $50 game honestly used to scare the shit out of me, but I’ve actually been holding my own so far. My ROI on the $50 tables is actually a few points higher than the $30 games. I can’t imagine myself loading up 6 $50 games at once, but hey, if I can do it with the same level of skill why not? What is interesting, as I look at my poker tracker database, is that the statistics for each level of buy-in have remained almost identical ($5 buy in is slightly skewed). Which either means that the players at each level are not all that different from each other, or that my natural progression of limits has progressed along with my skill level, basically evening everything out. It wouldn’t be that bad of an assumption either way, but it is interesting to note.

Some stats you want? Sure, let’s see em.













I’ve read a bit about other players who multi-table sit&go’s. Most results I’ve read have ROI% anywhere from 10-50%, so while I could be happier, at least my “I” is getting a “R”. Truthfully I am still surprised that I’ve made a profit over this large of sample size. I would really like to know where I stand in the grand scheme of things. Are there really players out there getting 50% ROI multi-tabling 6 or more? I’d like to see it.

Some interesting notes from these results. As you can see, the ROI from the $20-$50 games are all about the same, as well as the % finished in the money and the average total finish - giving evidence to my theory that sit&go players are not all that much different from each other despite buy in size. Additionally, it is also interesting to note that I've finished 1st quite a bit more often than 2nd and 3rd, which truthfully I wouldn't have guessed if I had to ballpark it. It feels that I get 2nd even more than I get first, but I guess you always remember your painfull losses more vividly than your wins.

The next obvious step would be to identify leaks in my game, in order to boost that ROI up to around 30%. Off the top of my head, I think I need to bluff more. Just simple bluffs, like when it is checked to me in position, or taking stabs at orphan pots from the BB. Of course I have to be aware of the frequency of my bets so I don’t get a lot of playback by players putting me on bluffs, but I think I’ve gotten to the point where I can actually keep track of what is going on at each table individually enough to make such plays. Additionally, I find myself short stacked at least 50% of the time going into the final 6 or so, so I imagine I need a better way to accumulate at least a bit more chips in the early rounds. Perhaps I need to start limping with some marginal-ish hands or something. But it is hard to make plays with marginal hands though, since you can’t get a lot of reads on players unless they make some fantastically obvious play that would immediately label them a fish or calling station (or what I refer to as a fish station).

So all in all, I’m currently pretty happy with the way things have gone, and I see no reason why my results should start to dissipate. It will still be pretty crazy loading up 6 $50 games at once, but hey, that’s what I thought when I was playing $10 games and thinking about the $30 games.

Here’s to 2006, the year of the sit&go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, you should start playig way more multi table tourneys, I would like to see you take down a 10-25k guaranteed tourney once in your life, the ROI on that its HUGE! although there all mostly re-buys there like 5-10 bucks to get in.

by the way you forgot to add in you 100dollar sit and go action. MISREPRESENTATION OF DATA!



wp

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home