Monday, January 23, 2006

Motivation such an aggravation

When I think back on pretty much everything I haven’t done in my life, it is generally due to a simple lack of motivation.

It takes my lazy ass a lot to get motivated.

Most motivations in life come in the form of some sort of intangible long term gain for your work now. This is why I suck at school. I can’t see the direct result of my studying so I just don’t do it.

Poker is different.

You get results right away, in the form of $$$. There is a direct correlation of skill level and revenue. Sure, luck sometimes skews the results, but generally, the better you are, the more you make.

But it’s not all that simple. Just like studying for school, it seems that poker has that element to it as well. You can’t learn calculus playing Warcraft, so you can’t learn poker playing Warcraft. It’s the same thing really. You do have to put study time in - reading up on strategies, analyzing your game, etc. And, as in school, the more time you put in, the more you truly learn. So how have I been able to take a studious, motivated approach to poker while my school studies have always been lacking?

Well I imagine that some of it has to do with that I actually like playing poker. Additionally, I am choosing to play poker, while school is just well, not much of a choice. And as previously mentioned, I have a hard time seeing the end result of studying without numerous checkpoints along the way.

But this lack of motivation is biting me in the ass right now. Even though I have definitely improved throughout the year, and I can see that my poker studies have paid off, there still is a lack of motivation to actually play.

Since I’ve started playing full time, I’ve lost that love of just playing that I had when I just played recreationally. I play now when I tell myself to. Since 8-tabling SNG’s isn’t exactly a barrel of laughs, it actually translates into work sometimes. So sometimes I find myself just sitting on the computer, doing the same sort of useless shit that I used to do when avoiding school work. It’s sad really, since this character flaw of mine will prevent me from ever making any real cash and will eventually cap my skill at the game since I won’t see the point of learning more. I hate to admit it, but almost every day I play for only 2-3 hours, ring in a small profit and shut down for the day. And since I don’t have any real financial motivations to continue playing more than the bills dictate, I’ll never reach any higher levels. Well, of course that isn’t entirely true, but if a normal ambitious person was in my shoes, with my exact skill set, they could turn my life into a $100k/year job. It’s just a matter of motivation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is also a matter of strategy. If you always play short term strategies you are going to lose to someone who plays long term strategies. That is true in poker and in life.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home