Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Postin' aint easy

It’s been a while since I’ve posted some non-doomsday, woe-is-me, selfish quality posts. So let’s throw up some hand histories over the past few days. Sure, it won’t win the post of the year award, but at least it will (may?) be entertaining.

First hand – “The worst call of all time”

This happened today at a $25 turbo game. No reads, early in tournament.

Seat 1: Kretsche2 (1325 in chips)
Seat 2: MOEGIE (1195 in chips)
Seat 3: Goucho1 (1375 in chips)
Seat 4: skins2112 (380 in chips)
Seat 5: DrStranglife (1140 in chips)
Seat 6: mikas_pot (2030 in chips)
Seat 7: Rushead (1505 in chips)
Seat 8: Trap Setter (3165 in chips)
Seat 9: RikkiDee (1385 in chips)
DrStranglife: posts small blind 15
mikas_pot: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [Tc Ac]
Rushead: folds
Trap Setter: folds
RikkiDee: calls 30
Kretsche2: raises 90 to 120
MOEGIE: calls 120
Goucho1: folds
skins2112: folds
DrStranglife: folds
mikas_pot: calls 90
RikkiDee: calls 90

In my past super tight games I would fold ATs, but I’ve learned that in these turbo games, a double up early makes life real easy, so I’ve been starting to see flops with these medium strength hands. Anyways, back to the hand.

*** FLOP *** [8c 9c Jd]

What a freaking flop, nut flush and open ended straight draw with an overcard. Technically, against any hand but a made straight I am statistically the favorite here. So lets get our money in while the odds are on our side.

mikas_pot: checks
RikkiDee: checks
Kretsche2: bets 180

Preflop raiser makes his continuation bet, but because it is against 4 opponents, I have to give him credit for at least an overpair, perhaps a set.

MOEGIE: calls 180
mikas_pot: folds
RikkiDee: raises 1085 to 1265 and is all-in
Kretsche2: calls 1025 and is all-in
MOEGIE: folds
*** TURN *** [8c 9c Jd] [9h]
*** RIVER *** [8c 9c Jd 9h] [3h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RikkiDee: shows [Tc Ac] (a pair of Nines)
Kretsche2: shows [Ah Kc] (a pair of Nines - King kicker)
Kretsche2 collected 3085 from pot

There you go. 18 outs - missed them all. The man calls a check raise (all in) with nothing. Seriously nothing. Ace high, no draw, unless you count his mighty “pair” draw, or runner-runner straight. And it wasn’t a mistake. I talked to him after, and asked him why he called. He gave the standard fish answer, “I figured you were bluffing”. And yes, I was. Is this guy a pro then? Of course not. If I was playing my hand face up against a pro, they would fold with AK there. AK beats absolutely nothing I could possibly make that check raise with. Actually, why am I even discussing this? Everyone knows it was a bad call, lets just laugh.

Hand 2 – “Best preflop raise ever”

Seat 1: tom90cu (1738 in chips)
Seat 4: Go Ducks (2490 in chips)
Seat 5: Pier85 (3597 in chips)
Seat 6: GrootyHooter (2760 in chips)
Seat 7: Mootle (1400 in chips)
Seat 9: RikkiDee (1515 in chips)
Mootle: posts small blind 50
RikkiDee: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [3d 7c]
tom90cu: calls 100
Go Ducks: folds
Pier85: folds
GrootyHooter: folds
Mootle: calls 50
RikkiDee: raises 100 to 200
tom90cu: folds
Mootle: folds
RikkiDee said, "bahaha"
RikkiDee collected 350 from pot
RikkiDee: doesn't show hand

This was a misclick raise, one of the hazards of multi-tabling. Or is it???? Never seen anyone ever fold to this raise, and they both did. Very strange.

Actually that’s it, I can’t think of any others off hand that are in the same ballpark of ridiculousness. I will leave you with some random thoughts/questions.

Why do people *call* raises late game with low pocket pairs? Unless you are a fucking mind reader, it is almost impossible to know if you are ahead when 3 overcards come. I can see reraising with a low pair, but calling just makes no sense to me. This is especially frustrating when said fish calls with his 22, hits his miracle set and takes you out. If you are willing to call with 22, then you should be calling with any 2 cards. By the way, we are talking late game, when the blinds are so big that its pretty much all in or fold once the flop comes.

Conversely, why do people raise with really low pocket pairs? Especially early game. I *may* see your point late game when blind stealing is a factor, but early, from early position, why are you raising with 33? What is that raise going to accomplish? I see it all the time too. Yesterday I saw someone raise just 3bb with 22 when there were 3 limpers in already. That is just hilariously stupid. And of course he hit his set on the flop. Ok fish, if you are reading this, can you just answer me why you raise with 44 from first position? And then what do you do when the flop comes AT6 and 2 people called you? Actually, fuck AT6, what do you do when 58T comes? Still three overcards, whats your move?

Another hilarious strange fish play that involves low pocket pairs is when a fish limps in with 44, and is faced with someone raising all in – it’s folded to them, and they call! Why do you do this fish? Just please email me and tell me why. Guaranteed they have at least 2 overcards making it a cointoss at very best, and at worst, when they have even 55, you are smoked. So what is up with this play?

Ok, I guess I just had low pocket pairs on the mind. Hopefully I can come up with some more diverse content in the future. Till then, keep on keepin on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home