Thursday, January 26, 2006

Studies have shown that 60% of the time, pocket aces win, every time

This is a new one for me.

*Bad beat alert*

But it is of the humorous brand, or at least that’s what I tell myself to keep myself sane.

Alright, so I was playing my usual 8 tournaments, when I picked up AA at two tables simultaneously. On one table I’m faced with a 4bb raise, from a player I have a good amount of data on. He has a VPIP over 40% which basically means he is a loose player (read: fish), and I can probably expect a call if I push him all in right now since his raise looked of the type of a pocket pair. Actually the hand history tells the story just fine (notice the times).

2006/01/26 - 20:05:34 (ET)
Table '18702726 1' Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: Evvvvo13 (2665 in chips)
Seat 2: cdf1983 (2095 in chips)
Seat 4: RikkiDee (1445 in chips)
Seat 5: 444$$$333 (1150 in chips)
Seat 6: Olback (1755 in chips)
Seat 7: tobyone (1480 in chips)
Seat 8: SDIMOPOULOS (1440 in chips)
Seat 9: crumbs (1470 in chips)
444$$$333: posts small blind 15
Olback: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [Ac Ah]
tobyone: folds
SDIMOPOULOS: folds
crumbs: folds
Evvvvo13: calls 30
cdf1983: raises 90 to 120
RikkiDee: raises 1325 to 1445 and is all-in
444$$$333: folds
Olback: folds
Evvvvo13: folds
cdf1983: calls 1325
cdf1983 said, "nh"
*** FLOP *** [Td 6h 5c]
*** TURN *** [Td 6h 5c] [5s]
*** RIVER *** [Td 6h 5c 5s] [Jc]
RikkiDee said, "well done"
cdf1983 said, "YES!!!"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
cdf1983: shows [Th Ts] (a full house, Tens full of Fives)
RikkiDee: shows [Ac Ah] (two pair, Aces and Fives)
cdf1983 said, "ty"
cdf1983 collected 2965 from pot

No biggie, happens all the time. I am just glad bad players like this exist, blah blah blah. But what about that other table? I have aces on it, whats happening?

2006/01/26 - 20:05:57 (ET)
Table '18702993 1' Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: gk2400 (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: pitapuff (1390 in chips)
Seat 3: mfiler (1150 in chips)
Seat 4: Olback (1470 in chips)
Seat 5: RaT05 (1320 in chips)
Seat 6: suarzo (1690 in chips)
Seat 7: gomenlb (1470 in chips)
Seat 8: RikkiDee (1480 in chips)
Seat 9: chizam (2030 in chips)
RikkiDee: posts small blind 10
chizam: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [Ac Ah]
gk2400: folds
pitapuff: raises 40 to 60
mfiler: calls 60
Olback: folds
RaT05: folds
suarzo: calls 60
gomenlb: folds
RikkiDee: raises 240 to 300
chizam: folds
pitapuff: calls 240
mfiler: calls 240
suarzo: folds
*** FLOP *** [7s Ts 6h]
RikkiDee: bets 500
pitapuff: raises 590 to 1090 and is all-in
mfiler: folds
RikkiDee: calls 590
*** TURN *** [7s Ts 6h] [8d]
*** RIVER *** [7s Ts 6h 8d] [Js]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RikkiDee: shows [Ac Ah] (a pair of Aces)
pitapuff: shows [As Ks] (a flush, Ace high)
pitapuff collected 3160 from pot

As you see I tend to push my aces hard early game, since people basically never give you credit for a hand early in a tournament, even if I bash them over the head with re-raises. And to my opponents credit, other than the slightly loose preflop call (I wouldn’t call there, but I would assume the majority of players would call with AKs), it is going to be pretty hard to lay down AK there with the nut flush draw and 2 overs. But it is just really strange that these two hands happened basically simultaneously. And since I have this poker blog and all, I thought, hey, that’s somewhat interesting, lets post it.

One last funny thing about that last tournament – after I lost AA to AKs, I was left with:

Seat 8: RikkiDee (90 in chips)

Basically a write off, but hey, very next hand:

Dealt to RikkiDee [Kc Ks]
RikkiDee collected 405 from pot

And I’m somewhat back in it. Let’s see where I went from here. 5 hands later:

Seat 8: RikkiDee (355 in chips)
Dealt to RikkiDee [As Ad]
RikkiDee collected 760 from pot

Not bad, still short stacked but hey, I’ll take it. What’s next?

Seat 8: RikkiDee (860 in chips)
Dealt to RikkiDee [As 4d]
RikkiDee collected 1820 from pot

I’ll bet you are wondering how I managed to double up there. Let’s just say there was an all in and a suckout involved. But now I’m firmly back in this, me likey.

Eventually it all led to this…

Seat 8: RikkiDee (6530 in chips)
Seat 9: chizam (6970 in chips)
RikkiDee: posts the ante 50
chizam: posts the ante 50
chizam: posts small blind 300
RikkiDee: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [As Qs]
chizam: raises 1800 to 2400
RikkiDee: raises 4080 to 6480 and is all-in
chizam: calls 4080
*** FLOP *** [6s Ah Kh]
RikkiDee said, "king coming"
*** TURN *** [6s Ah Kh] [2c]
RikkiDee said, "no worries"
*** RIVER *** [6s Ah Kh 2c] [Ad]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RikkiDee: shows [As Qs] (three of a kind, Aces)
chizam: shows [Qd Ks] (two pair, Aces and Kings)
RikkiDee collected 13060 from pot

And that’s the game my friends, a first place finish after being down to 90 mutha fuckin chips. So if that was Gods way of working in mysterious ways to balance out the AA suckouts, then I’ll accept that. At least it gave me some material for a post.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you've added some new blogs on you FAV blogs to read list, personnaly i really like tillermans blog

7:36 AM  
Blogger RikkiDee said...

I would imagine the record for doubling up like that is probabbly some inconcievably high number that you wouldn't even believe it. There was actually another tournament that I came back and got third in when I didn't even have enough to make the ante. Thats right, ante, not blind, but ante. Dubbed up like 6 times and I squeeked into third.

Yea I figured I would add the blogs I read daily, and it also gives me easy access to them since I havn't bookmarked them all. Tillermans is great, and its pretty unknown. I know him from playing warcraft 3. A few years ago he was the champion of like every war3 tournament, untill he quit and took up poker. I was intriged.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

check this quote i just read from Donkey Hunter's blog really good thought.

The top level RTS pro-gamers are amazing in many dimensions. An obvious carryover is the ability to micromanage very quickly and efficiently, which translates in online poker to extreme multitablers. They can rapidly execute a large number of actions without making any mistakes. Another very helpful skill the pro-gamers have is an incredible ability to quickly adapt efficient strategies and counterstrategies. Blizzard, the game creator, would frequently be tweaking the game; making "balance" changes that affected the huge number of variables involved in the game. The patches would be released pretty often, sometimes about once a month and sometimes more frequently. In short order, the top level players would grasp all of the complex effects of the interdependent changes to devise new optimal strategies and counterstrategies. I've always been in awe of this ability.

hes talking about tillerMan and how he managed to Bank OVER 100K IN HIS FIRST 6 MONTHS INTERNET PLAY~~!

~WP

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home