Monday, March 06, 2006

Bad Hand, bad

I got a request from a friend to post more hand histories instead of boring theory posts that no one wants to read. And while I rarely have time to reflect on individual hands while multitabling, this one stood out to me for some reason, so hey, lets post it.

I'll start off by saying I played it really badly (fishy) and have been trying to discover a better way to play it since then. Just don't laugh too hard.

Seat 1: Shybert (1125 in chips)
Seat 2: Serge58 (1080 in chips)
Seat 3: BANDIT07 (1680 in chips)
Seat 4: dacrazesta (1455 in chips)
Seat 5: terrarra (1160 in chips)
Seat 6: waterboy113 (2280 in chips)
Seat 7: RikkiDee (1550 in chips)
Seat 8: aggiedad (1165 in chips)
Seat 9: BMike1977 (2005 in chips)
waterboy113: posts small blind 50
RikkiDee: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [6c 6h]
aggiedad: calls 100
BMike1977: folds
Shybert: folds
Serge58: folds
BANDIT07: folds
dacrazesta: folds
terrarra: folds
waterboy113: calls 50
RikkiDee: checks
*** FLOP *** [2s 3s 5d]
waterboy113: bets 200
RikkiDee: raises 400 to 600
aggiedad: raises 465 to 1065 and is all-in
waterboy113: calls 865
RikkiDee: raises 385 to 1450 and is all-in
waterboy113: calls 385


Some days I may even raise these 2 limpers with 66 in the BB, but today I'll just check. Here is my thought process when I made this play. First limper bets out, which is usually a pretty weak hand in this circumstance on this flop. I often see people betting these flops and I'm always suspicious, so I sometimes raise with a meh hand just to see where they are really at. But once the player who limped UTG re-re-re-re-re-re-re-raises me I know I'm most likely beat. Now here comes the next fun part, the original player who bet just calls the re-re-re-re-raise. If that isn't a flush draw I don't know what is. So I push all in, hoping to get some value out of my hand which is almost surely best against the original bettor. Of course what I didn't really realize immediately is that the original bettor is going to have 2 overcards most likely along with his flush draw, so its essentially a coinflip at this point against him.

Notice I havn't told you what they had. I'd like to just think about what kind of plays are available and what alternatives I could use instead of the donk play I chose.

Ok, I think in this situation I think calling the flop is the best play. I will reraise if it is heads up, but with one person to act behind me, a raise is a pretty risky play, especially if he limped with a pair, (now an overpair) which people love to do. When the SB bet out, even before he called the reraise, I figured he probabbly had a draw since he was a pretty aggressive player and if he had something like 77-AA he would be raising preflop at this stage of the game. So with one person to act behind me, I think calling is a much better play. Then if UTG folds and the turn brings a non spade (non ace?) I'll reassess the situation.

The only thing I fear - and it's mostly because I'm a donkey - is that everytime I end up calling someone's early position bet, and then someone moves in over the top of both of us, I get very suspicious that they may be making a move and end up making another stupid call. It's probabbly a huge leak in my game, but I do find myself doing it often. So I'm not at all certain that if I just called the flop bet and UTG went all in that I wouldn't call that as well, but at least I would have the option to get away from the hand, whereas a raise pretty much pot commits me while I have no information on UTG's hand.

Anyone want to know what happened?

Alright fine.

But it doesn't make a difference what happened, since it's how we got there that matters.

But anyways.
*** TURN *** [2s 3s 5d] [Jh]
*** RIVER *** [2s 3s 5d Jh] [Kh]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
waterboy113: shows [As Js] (a pair of Jacks)
RikkiDee: shows [6c 6h] (a pair of Sixes)
waterboy113 collected 770 from side pot
aggiedad: shows [Kd Ks] (three of a kind, Kings)
aggiedad collected 3495 from main pot

GG!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home