Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Hot Hot Heat

Well my good streak continues to get better. It’s getting to the point where I think that I actually may be a good poker player. But I’m sure a storm of junk-kicking beats will be coming my way soonly. But in the mean time, my junk has no fear.

In the last 3 days I’ve won $2489.20, mostly just playing $55 sit&go’s. Today after being up a bunch of c-notes, I decided to play in some big buy-in tournaments. Started off with a $150 NL tourney, then added an $80 WSOP satellite where top 8 (out of 69) qualify for this Sundays big $615 WSOP satellite. Sprinkle in a $33 PL hold-em game and a $20 heads up tournament and you got yourself an evening of fun.

The $150 NL Tourney was by far my biggest buy in of all time, dwarfing the previous record set by a few $50 games. I recognized a lot of big names but I was curious to see how I would fare against them. I think this hand tells the tale of how my tourney went pretty good. Oh by the way this is the third hand into the tournament.

Seat 1: RikkiDee (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: HAVANANIGHTS (920 in chips)
Seat 3: muggylicious (2020 in chips)
Seat 4: wpt-nuts (1620 in chips)
Seat 5: cheddarmon (1570 in chips)
Seat 6: emcee21 (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: AmuLeto (1460 in chips)
Seat 8: solidluck (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: playfast (1500 in chips) is sitting out
cheddarmon: posts small blind 10
emcee21: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [As Qs]
AmuLeto: folds
solidluck: folds
playfast: folds
RikkiDee: raises 40 to 60
HAVANANIGHTS: folds
muggylicious: folds
wpt-nuts: folds
cheddarmon: folds
emcee21: calls 40
*** FLOP *** [6c 2d Qd]
emcee21: checks
RikkiDee: bets 180
Emcee21: raises 1260 to 1440 and is all-in
RikkiDee: folds
emcee21 collected 490 from pot
emcee21: shows [Jd Ac] (high card Ace)

So yea; not so good. The aggression levels and overplaying that goes on at this level is unreal. I’m simply not ready for it yet. I cannot combat when players are able to put a third raise in as a bluff, or as in my example, a check raise bluff with absolutely nothing. Without good cards, I’m toast in these tourneys as I’m just too weak tight and don’t have enough gamble in me.

However, I did manage to score a seat in the Sunday $615 WSOP Qualifier by finishing in the top 8 – so there’s a cool $615 if I want it.

That’s the question though. Do I think it is worth it to try for the WSOP seat and give up my $615? It’s a tough one. $615 is a lot of scratch, and I wouldn’t dream of buying in for that amount ever, so that’s pretty good evidence for me to just take the money and run. But something inside me says to play in that tournament.

Playing in the WSOP main event would just be amazing. Sure I’m pretty much dead money, and wouldn’t have much of a chance to cash, but hell, just for the experience alone I want to do it. But even if I won a seat in the WSOP, would I even take it? If it’s even possible to sell seats that is. I mean, $10k is a ridiculous amount of money for me, I couldn’t imagine blowing it on one tournament. I really don’t know what to do.

I’m too safe to take risks, but taking risks – especially in poker – is the only way to get anywhere. Sure I could cash out the $615 bucks, put it back in my roll and with an expected ROI of 10% I could compound that into much more over time. But how fun is that? Isn’t winning $10k or more in one fell swoop more fun? And isn’t it the only way to truly step up your game to the level your stupid egotistical mind thinks are at but don’t have the roll for? I mean, take any big name poker player you want. I guarantee at one time or another, they won a big massive tournament (or huge cash game score) to greatly increase their bankroll and just haven’t looked back. I can’t say for sure, but I just don’t see any high stakes poker player just grinding it out forever until they are at that level. There are just too many ways to win big in poker for them to avoid it.

And that’s all it would take. One win would change everything. Amazing how much luck is involved in a life changing experience eh? But for now, I think the smartest thing to do, even though I’m on a sick hot streak, is to pussily cash out of the $615 satellite. I’ll take a few more shots at a WSOP qualifier and I’ll see what happens. I think I’ll be more likely to take a real shot at a WSOP entry by entering a smallish buy-in even with a lot of people where the top prize is a WSOP seat. The odds are worse, but the investment is small, and I also won’t be faced with these uncomfortable decisions of what to do with my satellite earnings.

Oh here’s one last hand I found interesting from yesterdays session. It’s similar to that AAAA on the flop example I had yesterday.

Seat 1: slamrod (1930 in chips)
Seat 2: seangk (4160 in chips)
Seat 3: rekm (2760 in chips)
Seat 6: gyndok (270 in chips)
Seat 7: Nados (1470 in chips)
Seat 8: RikkiDee (1145 in chips)
Seat 9: manganello (1765 in chips)
RikkiDee: posts small blind 75
manganello: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [5c Th]
slamrod: folds
seangk: raises 450 to 600
rekm: folds
gyndok: calls 270 and is all-in
Nados: calls 600
RikkiDee: folds
manganello: raises 1165 to 1765 and is all-in
seangk: calls 1165
Nados: calls 870 and is all-in
*** FLOP *** [Js Jh 8d]
*** TURN *** [Js Jh 8d] [Jc]
*** RIVER *** [Js Jh 8d Jc] [Jd]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
manganello: shows [Ts Tc] (four of a kind, Jacks)
seangk: shows [Qh Qc] (four of a kind, Jacks - Queen kicker)
seangk collected 590 from side pot-2
Nados: shows [Kc Kh] (four of a kind, Jacks - King kicker)
Nados collected 3600 from side pot-1
gyndok: shows [6d Ac] (four of a kind, Jacks - Ace kicker)
gyndok collected 1155 from main pot


TT vs QQ vs KK vs… A6! Gotta love that. I mean yea; all the A6 really had to do to win was hit an ace and he beats all those premium pairs, but heh, that is a sick way to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home