Thursday, March 16, 2006

I don't mean to brag but...

I'm fucking amazing at poker.

Well not really, but sometimes I do make plays that are so good that they impress even my own brain.

Now generally when playing a turbo sit&go, once you reach heads up it's purely a battle of all in's preflop, and whoever gets the good cards wins. It sucks but thats how it is. But occassionally, you reach the final 2 with the blinds not overly huge and sometimes you can actually play "poker".

This upcoming hand just happened today but surely it will become one of my all time best played hands. They'll probabbly read it aloud at my eulogy.

Seat 3: Marwan34 (2290 in chips)
Seat 5: RikkiDee (11210 in chips)
Marwan34: posts the ante 25
RikkiDee: posts the ante 25
RikkiDee: posts small blind 100
Marwan34: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [5h 4d]
RikkiDee: calls 100
Marwan34: checks
*** FLOP *** [3c 4h Ad]
Marwan34: checks
RikkiDee: bets 500
Marwan34: raises 1565 to 2065 and is all-in
RikkiDee: calls 1565

Ok, so what right?

Let me try to explain why this hand is so good. First off I limp from the SB with 54. If the blinds were higher I may have just folded this preflop but we had a little room to work with, so I call. Now once the flop comes with an ace on it, things become exciting.

Both my opponent and I know that if either of us had an ace they would be raising preflop. There is no way in hell that my opponent would let me limp in if he had an ace. It's pretty much a guarantee.

Now he knows I don't have an ace. I and I know that he knows that I don't have an ace. So what do I do? Overbet the pot. Thats right, classic attempt at a pot purchase from the big stack. Now I know that he won't like the looks of that overbet, and because he knows that I don't have an ace he figures he can make a move on this pot representing an ace. But this man isn't a 3rd level thinker like I am. I intentionally overbet the pot with 2nd pair in order to induce him to read it as weakness and push on me. Because I know he doesn't have an ace, I (most likely) have the best hand.

One other thing is that if he did actually have something strong like 2 pair or the straight then knowing I don't have an ace and can't call his big reraise, he would be inclined to slow play.

So what happened?

*** TURN *** [3c 4h Ad] [Jd]
*** RIVER *** [3c 4h Ad Jd] [5d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Marwan34: shows [Ac As] (three of a kind, aces)
RikkiDee: shows [5h 4d] (two pair, Fives and Fours)
Marwan34 collected 4580 from pot

Ya right like I would embarass myself on my own blog like that after I went off on how genius my play was.

Here is the real result (yes you can fake hand histories!)

*** TURN *** [3c 4h Ad] [Jd]
*** RIVER *** [3c 4h Ad Jd] [5d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Marwan34: shows [5c 7s] (a pair of Fives)
RikkiDee: shows [5h 4d] (two pair, Fives and Fours)
RikkiDee collected 4580 from pot

Booya grandma. Hail to the king baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home