Thursday, March 02, 2006

My First Professional Ace High River Call

I read a lot about pro's calling big bets on the river with just ace high figuring their opponent was bluffing and always wanted to try it, but never had the balls, instinct, and whatever else it takes to do it. But when you are playing agianst terrible fish, sometimes you just know how their ignorant brain works.

Seat 1: x5217x (3530 in chips)
Seat 4: gisborne (3090 in chips)
Seat 5: dewman15 (1160 in chips)
Seat 6: RikkiDee (2595 in chips)
Seat 9: Crystal Lynn (3125 in chips)
x5217x: posts small blind 100
gisborne: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [Ah Jh]
dewman15: folds
RikkiDee: raises 400 to 600
Crystal Lynn: calls 600
x5217x: folds
gisborne: folds
*** FLOP *** [7c Th 9c]
RikkiDee: bets 600
Crystal Lynn: calls 600
*** TURN *** [7c Th 9c] [Tc]
RikkiDee: checks
Crystal Lynn: checks
*** RIVER *** [7c Th 9c Tc] [Ts]
RikkiDee: checks
Crystal Lynn: bets 1925 and is all-in
RikkiDee: calls 1395 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Crystal Lynn: shows [Ad 5c] (three of a kind, Tens)
RikkiDee: shows [Ah Jh] (three of a kind, Tens - Jack kicker)
RikkiDee collected 5490 from pot


I was so proud of myself for this play. When someone makes a strange out of sync bet like this, it always arouses my suspicions. It's always only one of 2 hands, nothing or everything. In this case I couldn't figure out a hand that this fish would have that they could possibly be betting for value on the river. And of course, the fact that they went all is usually a pretty clear sign they are weak. At first I was scared that he slow played the flush on the river, but in my mind going all in with trips on board with just a flush is a pretty stupid play for even a fish, but it's been done. Anyways, good for me, pat on the back.

In other news, I started reading this dudes blog last night and besides laughing my ass off, started to become really jealous after reading post after post of huge MTT wins. I can't imagine winning 55k in a MTT and being all like.. ya, lets play more. If I won something that huge I would be jerking off on my own face for months. Somehow he continues to do it over and over and over and over again, at least thats the way he presents it. I want to be his best friend. Another interesting thing that he does is split entry fees and winnings with a group of his poker playing friends - which is really smart. Since MTT's are 99% luck and 1% anger suppression, it makes sense to have pieces of each other when the inevitable AA vs J2o suckout happens. Since you can only play the percentages for so long, when you have others in there that you have an equal piece of to help cushion the blow, it makes for a much more enjoyable experience I would imagine.

The only part that obviously sucks is when you pull down 100k and have to split it 6 ways. But who wins a MTT anyways?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I certainly dont win them...
I am going to play them till I do though, last night 11th and tonight 5th both out of a field of 1300+ (5+.50 NLHE)im itchen for a 1st or at least some heads up play for big $$$$.

by the way thanks to rikkidee for making me call with QQ when I was chip leader against the 2nd biggest chip stack, he had JJ (obv)

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home