Monday, April 24, 2006

The effect of showing a bluff to a fish...

After my first week of playing online poker I realized that bluffing was 900% useless. Proper online strategy is as simple as follows:

be patient + bet your hands + never bluff

=WINNER

But every so often I'll be playing a low stakes game where I get a little jiggy and start up the bluff tractor, only to be reminded why I gave it up in the first place.

A quick hand example of why bluffing is 900% pointless, especially at low limits.

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [7s 6s]
mickalot: folds
ChrisB007: folds
TomBrownlee: raises 150 to 200
veal: folds
JJBucky: folds
RikkiDee: calls 200
PrincessNami: folds
JOHNNY CARDZ: calls 175
gintin: folds
*** FLOP *** [2s Ad Kc]
JOHNNY CARDZ: bets 100
TomBrownlee: calls 100
RikkiDee: raises 1160 to 1260 and is all-in
JOHNNY CARDZ: folds
TomBrownlee: folds
RikkiDee collected 950 from pot
RikkiDee: shows [7s 6s] (high card Ace)

Ok so like I said, I like to get jiggy at low limit sometimes and being short on chips doesn't stop me, especially when I'm tilting from earlier losses. So I make this move and show the bluff, gg me. Now watch what the effect is on the rest of the table.

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RikkiDee [8h 3s]
JOHNNY CARDZ: folds
gintin: folds
mickalot: calls 100
ChrisB007: folds
TomBrownlee: folds
veal: folds
JJBucky: folds
RikkiDee: checks
*** FLOP *** [Td As Kc]
RikkiDee: checks
mickalot: checks
*** TURN *** [Td As Kc] [9c]
RikkiDee: bets 200
mickalot: calls 200
*** RIVER *** [Td As Kc 9c] [7d]
RikkiDee: bets 600
mickalot: calls 600
*** SHOW DOWN ***
RikkiDee: shows [8h 3s] (high card Ace)
mickalot: shows [2s 2c] (a pair of Deuces)
mickalot collected 1850 from pot

Nh sir, only 5 overcards out there, but yea, 22 is probabbly good.

Moral of the story, as always, don't bluff.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are playing tight and the fish somehow figure it out and stop giving you action, showing a bluff will buy you a lot of credit for being loose.

Then you can go back to nut peddling.

6:50 PM  
Blogger RikkiDee said...

I know, I forgot the cardinal rule of showing a bluff, make sure your next one is real!

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will win degenerate poker challenge! Rock the HAMMERRRRRRR duce seven baby!

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo, can we get a comment board up for the 'degerate challange', you know discuss the softest games to play.

I suggest Royal Hold'em, after about 20 hands I discovered the deck was only 10JQKA, although its highly unprofitable seeing as everyones in every hand (.5/.10 Fixed), its fun as hell, I think I had a streak of 5 full houses in a row.., but folding hands like A10, AJ, KQ, and 1010 is a common thing in this game SHORT-HANDED, lol..

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I agree. I think bucker games are basically pointless. YOu have to beat 10 complete fish to win 5$ -EV and extrememly hard, just as Cdawg. You only have 25$ but you need to risk @ like 25% so that you give your self a chance to get a little cushion....that's my info so far...
Ciao

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You fish in the degenerate challenge have some work to do. This is easy, just keep playing in the highest turbo sng you can and win it. Lee

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home