Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Oh where oh where did my break even play go?

After looking back on the last few posts I’ve done, I realized that I was lacking some strategy / hand discussion type posts. When I created this blog I wanted it to be 50% results and 50% strategy. Now after a few months and dozens of posts I’m firmly in the 95/5% range, not good.

It mostly comes down to the fact that strategy posts take time and effort, and you also run the risk of looking like a tool.

Now with an intro like that you would think that this would lead up to a kick ass strategy post defining exactly how to play AK out of position when you miss the flop or something.

Obviously not.

In place of a well thought out strategy post, there will be pissed off monkey tilt ranting.

I think I’m going to go broke within this month. My lofty goal for April was to break even. Well I’m not even achieving that goal at the moment, down about $1,500 for the month. Each loss compounds it’s pain on top of each other in my brain and if you know anything about compounded interest, you know that shit adds up.

And this run of bad play/bad luck/monkey tilt couldn’t have come at a worse time, as the Vegas trip fucking bankrupted me, leaving me with an ugly credit card balance. The pressure is mounting every day I play and each day seemingly gets worse.

At this point I will accept a break even April (read: zero profits) if it just allows me to keep playing poker “professionally”. If I go busto I don’t know what I’ll do. Suicide is a more likely outcome than a job.

And because the line of playing well or just getting lucky is blurry at times in poker, I can’t be confident that there will be a happy ending to this story. One thing on my side is I have about 2,000 games in my database that say I’m a good player. Can one really run hot for 2,000 games before they realize their true (negative) skill? At this point I hope not.

All I can say at this point is I’ve never run into more pair over pair situations in my life. Everytime I happily push with 99 on the bubble, the BB wakes up with TT+. I havn’t seen a regular statistically likely stream of QQ+ in the past 100 or so games. I’ve lost much more than my share of coinflips and I havn’t been sucking out with K5 vs A8 type hands, which are a combined about 90% of all there is to winning SNG’s. Now all that is just anecdotal evidence, but it sure feels that way. I guess there isn’t any other way to feel when you are losing though.

I just find it funny that in March I was soaring, scoring $1,000 days with ease. If I could just trade one of those $1,000 days for a -$500 day in April I would be a much happier monkey. It should happen. I should win. If I play 500 more games this month I should be up, but who’s to say what will happen. The thing about monkey tilt is that when you consistently make the correct play and get ass-fucked over and over again, you start redefining the term “correct play” and then your whole mindset can change, unconsciously to your real normal poker playing brain.

Anyways enough babbling right? More words and more paragraphs won’t make the bad man go away. I’ll end this by asking for $100 from anyone who wants to

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

man don't play shitty hands like K5 and play the money tables too not just SNG. poker is all luck you just need too get it.

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"poker is all luck"

yup. probably is.

"you just need too [sic] get it"

i don't even know what to say...

6:36 PM  
Blogger RikkiDee said...

buying luck?

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Variance at SnGs can be pretty brutal, even/especially for good players. Which doesn't help at all, when you're getting bent over, but it also means that you could go on a heater and win 5 in a row, and all would be right in the world again, in the span of a few hours.

You just have to keep your head above water until things level out. Which would likely mean dropping down in limits and grinding more, or getting a job type thing.

Job type things suck but money is nice, especially if you need to pay off credit card debt. It's not the end of the world if you work a job for a few months, get flush again and pay off debt, and give the full-time poker gig a whirl again.

I doubt that most of the people supporting themself via full-time poker play made it on their first shot, if they're honest. Ain't no shame in doing what you have to to pay the bills and then returning for a second, or a third go at it, until you make it.

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man just give me the rest of you b-roll and ill double it for you.

wp

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on a similar sized downswing at the 60s. The play there is just horrid but I can't seem to capitalize lately. May I suggest playing some 6 handed games and abusing the bubble. Those games are soft as any on stars.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who comments on the comments

6:09 PM  
Blogger RikkiDee said...

I've played a few 6 handed tourneys but I can't handle the slow pace of the blinds after playing thousands of turbos. I've dropped down to the $25's and made a semi-comeback, hopefully this will help my confidence enough to play back at the 60s.

Scurvy, employment is on my mind but I'm no where near ready to conceed victory. GIve it a month of losses, then I'll probabbly do it.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home