Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Variance is becoming my bitch

I think I'm maturing as a player. I think I'm able to deal with variance like someone who understands basic probability should. And I think I'm on my way to getting the sand out of my vagina about "booking wins". Trust me, I'm no where near conquering these obstatcles, but I'm definitely becoming consciously aware of changes in my psyche.

For example, this month I've already played 134 games (67/day). To put that in perspective, in June, I played a total of 301 games (15/day), and that was one of my most profitable months. Despite the impending doom of the influx of Party players, I've put forth a concentrated effort sofar this month to play through wins and losses, and just stay focused on playing a certain amount of games. And even though the results haven't necessarily been there yet, I'm satisfied.

In fact I'm more than satisfied. I've accomplished something much more fundamentally important than winning money. Obviously the idea is to make money, but that only comes when the fundamentals are in place. And even though I've been playing for months making money, change is definitely needed.

For a long time, I tried so hard to maintain winning days. And even though I knew booking wins was a frivolous endeavor, it satisfied me regardless. I was a happier person with a winning day, even if it was only a few hundred. I always knew my winning potential was much more than that, but I just didn't want to risk losing those wins. So I ended up quitting early a lot, and ultimately costing myself money. If I'm in the right mood to play, I should be playing. It's that simple. I have a positive expectation on each and every game I play. It's simply inefficient not to play.

I read a post on 2+2 the other day entitled "July Results". There were about 30-50 replies by various posters detailing their monthly take, ROI and number of games played. Most results were pretty standard, except one. A poster named "schwza" who plays on Stars with me everyday posted his results. 2k games played, 10% ROI and $20k made. Here is a player who plays the exact same buy-in as me, and is essentially equal in skill, making 4x the amount I make. Now its pretty natural of me to get jealous of players who post their monthly/yearly results when they are sick amounts, but in this case it hit home a lot harder. I could easily be making this amount. It's simply a matter of motivation and variance resistance.

So thats the game plan. The goal is to play about 70-100 games a day all month. Today I did it and made $1477.50. Sounds impressive, but since I lost $900 yesterday, I was mostly just playing catch up. I've been working on playing continuous rather than sets, and I think I'm pretty used to it now. If I play 8 tables at a time, continuous, I can get about 11 games/hour in. So if I put in a normal mans daily average of working hours, I can easily get my daily goal.

Here's to a $20k month.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that is a lot of poker. Hope you can stop by my blog and help me figure out how to handle a tough spot for me. I posted a nasty hand from last night and looking from thoughts from pros like yourself.

I hope you get the 20k a month... If you need help in learning how to invest that money let me know.... then I can chat about something where I am considered a "pro".

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pshh 20k month? shoot for the 50k month YEEAAAAA


WP

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home