Tuesday, March 20, 2007

All's quiet on the home front

Not much doin' in the land o' RikkiDee lately. Still not playing as much as I'd like to, and definitely not making as much as I'd like to (obvious). Since I took half of the month off, I couldn't expect much in the way of profits this month, but I'm still slacking to catch up regardless.

Its been almost 3 months since I (re)started playing cash games and I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable. I now know I'm not the best player, and I think just knowing that makes me more money. When I start thinking I'm too good, I get into win-every-pot mode and end up losing more.

Poker is funny that way. Especially at the limits that I play. Why don't I go eat some hay? Down by the bay? I just may.

Ahem, at the mid limits, you get a lot of guys who "know" how to play. They've worked there way through the micro limits and know how to beat the bad players. They know about relative hand values and how not to overplay their hands. And in theory they are the players that I should be able to take advantage of, if I can stay one step ahead of them.

The problem is, while they know not to stack off with just top pair vs a bad player, they'll jump out of their seat trying to get top pair all in vs a player like me. A player like me, is in essence a player like them, so they almost always figure if I'm pushing hard, I'm bluffing. They've seen it before and know they are prime targets to be bluffed due to their tightness. And since big hands don't come around that often, any aggression on my part is probably out of line.

All of that is kind of a roundabout way of saying that I still need improvement trying to "outplay" the regulars. And while a case could be made that theres no need to even worry about outplaying them consistently because most profits are made from the truly bad players, I'm always looking for additional edges. And also, if I ever want to move up in limits, I'll need to beat the regulars, or at least the bad regulars. I'm definitely improving, but like I mentioned earlier, the more confidence I get, the more pots I feel belong to me, and somehow I just get called down too often with trash.

Weird how that works.

Pretty much a filler post since I haven't been too active, but still a good tracking of my current thought process.

C+

1 Comments:

Blogger Will Palango said...

I know what you mean about regulars, you always want to beat them b/c you see them everytime you sit down, but really who the fuck cares??

dude are u still playing 6max??? if you are STOP PKEASE ! there so much more money in 200nl full ring, you can actually find tables with ZERO REGULARS!! if you think its too slow or you dont like waiting for nuts just open up 12 tables or fucking turn on a TV, but please stop fucking around with this 6max supper aggressive bull, besides 6max is all ready full of gay multi-tablers....

ps. if you've already switched to full ring please disregard that last pharagraph....

pps. you gonna satillite into the WSOP this year??? or are you just gonna be a little 200nl bitch??

PEACE

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home