Monday, June 04, 2007

Chasing losses - A +EV venture

I think I had a semi-epiphany tonight.

It was 2am and I had just gotten back from a double feature at the drive-in (Shrek 3 and Disturbia, neither were that great). I was tired from the weekend but I wanted to get some hands in anyways, so I loaded up 5 tables at Party.

An hour went by and I'm obviously stuck about $300. Great, what a fucking stupid idea that was.

I then considered my options. I didn't feel I was playing that badly, maybe a little bit passive, but most of the losses were the of the gay suckout/cooler variety (KQ>KK all in preflop obviously). I felt that I could still continue to play profitably. And I am aware thats what every poker player in the universe says when they are stuck.

So in the midst of this thought process I was still playing, and still losing (84s on a AKQ flop is obviously good sir, continue playing, flush draws are like 90% vs sets). I was about to quit. But then I finally hit some big hands vs stations, got payed off and got back to even and then some, ending the night up $150 or so.

After going over what just transpired I realized that my comeback in terms of dollars was fairly insignificant but the boosts to my confidence and overall poker psyche was damn near priceless. As I've learned throughout the past 2 years, I am emotionally effected by my poker results, despite my best efforts otherwise. Losing breeds losing for me and it takes a long time to rebuild my confidence. And without confidence, you aint shit in poker.

So while if I had quit earlier when I was down a few hundred, it wouldn't have really hurt my bankroll, but it may have started a chain reaction of negative emotions that ultimately leads to Bustoville.

So maybe chasing losses isn't such a bad thing, as long as you can keep a level head about it. It might even save your life some day.

And heres the graph just for fun:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dude,

Just started reading your blog a couple weeks ago you have a good sense of humor. Chris Fargis (twenty-one-outs-twice) actually made a good post about how positive/negative results effect your psyche. If you havent read it yet you should it'll give you a glimpse into why results effect you so deeply.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home