Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Downswings

Downswings happen

Especially in poker!

I'm 100% sure that the number one reason that good players are good is because of their ability to play through downswings, not go on monkey tilt, and maintain their bankroll.

I think I have this ability almost 50% mastered!

And 50% is a passing grade where I come from.

When you talk to people, and read people's postings on various websites about poker, it seems that everyone has a general understanding of what this game is all about. I've thought about this a lot, because it seems as though everyone on 2+2 plays the very same style of poker that I do. And it doesn't make sense that everyone is always winning. Downswings are inevitable due to random variance, and since everyone has the same skill level in poker (obviously untrue but stay with me) then what must separate the has from the has beens is tilt control.

It seems trivial. Tilt. It's for the weak. And no one considers themselves weak. So its a very easy aspect to ignore. But it exists. And it can fucking destroy your bankroll without you even being aware of it.

Ok, so I basically just made this fluffy little post as an excuse to post my recent downswing and subsequent (long-overdue) upswing that followed. It was an ugly few weeks I have to tell you. Probably the most stressful 2-3 weeks of my life. And yes, there was definitely some tilt in there.















I'm definitely proud of this graph, in fact, I'm crying right now looking at it. The fact that one simple smiley faced graph can represent so much emotion to me is just a beautiful thing. Thinking back to my lowest moments, I couldn't imagine life being worse. I also couldn't imagine ever recovering. I mean, I knew it would probably happen eventually, but it was such an abstract, impossible thought at the time that it would be almost irrational to believe in it.

Ok, thanks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yoyo buddy you needs to chill...lol nice smiley face though...rage gonnna be sick!
jose

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home