Thursday, January 31, 2008

All play and no work makes Rikki a happy boy

Took a few weeks off due to a few great sessions in a row that I feared would put me on perma-winning tilt. I realize the ridiculousness of taking time off within like 1 week of my new years resolution post where I proclaimed my desire to improve my work ethic and to take more risks. I guess I just wasn't ready for quick success. I had such a good early January that I couldn't physically handle what I had done. Hopefully this is just a stepping stone to greater things.

Of course my computer died once again to end the month so at least I have a legitimate excuse for missing 1-2 days work.

Since I haven't been playing poker, I really haven't had poker on the brain, and hence, no blog updates. But with my leisure time, I have been thinking about other things - namely - leisure time itself.

In economics, all human time is divided into two categories - "leisure" and "work". Its a ridiculous simplification but also quite significant in terms of how humans live their life. With leisure time, humans are able to do "what they want" regardless of what incentives are provided.

However, I've been thinking recently that leisure time is basically non-existent in its true sense. It is so rare that a human being ever gets to experience the pure activity or event that they desire. There are always external factors that fuck up your immaculate plan that you have in mind. Its gotten to the point for me where I've become so desensitized to the loss of my leisure plans that I barely take the time to even think about future leisure activities since I know they are ultimately ruined.

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on leisure activities due to my lack of job and abundance of lazy. I also prefer the company of myself to others in general - mostly due to my disdain for the human race and also my disdain for awkward pointless conversations. And yet I still find myself rarely satisfied with my leisure time activities. I can only imagine what your average 9-5'er goes through.

What bothers me most is that people have genuine hatred for other peoples leisure. I noticed this when I was a kid and I'd spend my nights playing video games or G.I. Joe's which would ultimately be angrily interrupted by my parents dragging me out of my room to join them in their miserable non leisurely life.

To that I say, don't hate the player hate the motherfuckin' game.

If I've structured my life for maximum leisure time rather than an equal balance of work and play, what do you care? What am I missing out on? All around me I see people complaining, unhappy with how their life is turning out, all the while looking down on me for living a life of leisure. Meanwhile the simple fact is that doing what I want whenever I want to makes me happier than you can imagine - even if "doing what I want" means watching old Superbowls and playing Call of Duty 4 for 8 hours straight.

And just to ease the tension of this angry post - here is the reason Peyton Manning is a faggot for life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home