Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Avoid Retardation

Still alive - just have had a really uninteresting month sofar. I've grinded here and there, made some bucks but really haven't thought about it too much.

I really feel I'm at the top of my game at the moment. That is to say that I've never been "better" than I am right now and I rarely feel outclassed at the tables. I do see a shot at 5/10 in the near future. But in order to take that shot I need to hit my monthly goals, which rarely happen, due to laziness.

If I did move up to 5/10 and had success, I really could see myself taking off since in theory I will be able to make my monthly expenses very quickly and will have a lot left over to build a bankroll with. Moving up in levels is always difficult but its especially hard when you have to take out so much of your roll each month for expenses. I wish I could have just saved my cash, lived like a bum for a while then balled out when I got to 5/10. But, hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Lately I've been playing 400NL on party during the day, and 200NL on stars during the night. Party sort of shuts down during the night as a lot of the European customers are in bed and all you have left over are the American pros who somehow hacked onto party. And I don't have the roll to play 400NL on stars yet so I just 12-table autopilot grind 200NL until I get there.

Clarity of thought is an amazing thing in poker. When you have it you are basically unbeatable as you can analyze so many situations perfectly. Obviously clarity is rare in life since there is so much stress and bullshit that you have to deal with but when the stars align and you achieve it, its an amazing thing.

I'll end this post with a pseudo poker tip. Its a basic one that a lot of people learn early but I feel that its necessary to reiterate.

Tip: Don't be concerned with how much you've invested in a pot. Its a sunk cost and doesn't belong to you. The only thing you should be concerned with is how to maximize your return on your current decision. Even if you have a good hand, if it is likely that your opponent has you, think twice before blindly shoving all in "just because". Its very easy to lose a big pot and then say "cooler" but in truth there are usually ways to minimize your losses or even get away from it entirely. This requires insane patience and discipline, but it pays off.

Heres an example:

Seat 1: athan8 ( $486.17 USD )
Seat 2: ravenx777 ( $429.80 USD )
Seat 4: tokenblak ( $868.62 USD )
Seat 6: MacauFish ( $989.82 USD )
Seat 3: NothingZen ( $751.93 USD )
Seat 5: sweetUKgirl ( $396 USD )
MacauFish posts small blind [$2 USD].
athan8 posts big blind [$4 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to tokenblak [ 7h 6h ]
ravenx777 folds.
NothingZen raises [$14 USD]
tokenblak raises [$48 USD]
sweetUKgirl folds.
MacauFish folds.
athan8 folds.
NothingZen calls [$34 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 5h, 4h, 6c ]
NothingZen checks.
tokenblak bets [$65 USD]
NothingZen calls [$65 USD]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2c ]
NothingZen bets [$133 USD]
tokenblak raises [$364 USD]
NothingZen is all-In.
tokenblak calls [$274.93 USD]
** Dealing River ** [ Kc ]
tokenblak shows [ 7h, 6h ]a pair of Sixes.
NothingZen shows [ 3s, 3h ]a straight Two to Six.

Everything here is standard up until the turn. Now when he bets out on the turn hes representing a very strong hand. He was a decent player and he knew that I was decent as well. He knew that the turn card would be somewhat scary and that I may not bet an overpair if I had it. By him betting out here it should indicate that he likes his hand. I have to then make a decision. Do I want to risk a lot to possibly push him off a hand like 99-TT-JJ-QQ or do I just call and see a river with my pair+flush draw+open ended straight draw. I knew by raising I was putting the pressure on him to make a decision about the hand (he can only push or fold), but the second I did it I regretted it since he is representing such a small range with his turn bet that its best to just call instead. I just didn't want to give up on the hand since I had reraised preflop and hit a nice flop.

So there I should have just called the turn and probably folded on the river since it is so unlikely he is ever bluffing with his wierd line that he took. Its possible he was bluffing the turn but never the river since he has to assume I like my hand and will call.

The point is, regardless of what has happened, always take a second and reconsider doing something retarded. Retardation is the number one cause of poker losses. Avoid it imo.

And this has had me cracking up all week. I love how at the end after looking like a complete idiot he has to let us know that it "actually may in fact be a moth" like hes just completely redeemed himself.

1 Comments:

Blogger OneGreenChip said...

i've been reading this blog for almost a year now. and it's fucking weak.

not because of the poker content, but because of how you continually poke fun at your own laziness, and accept it, like it's cool/amusing. i would kill to have the time to put into poker that you do.

and you just write things off and say, "LOL I'M LAZY IZZNT IT FUNNEH". It's not. It's pathetic. I've got friends who are on the verge of leaving their day-time jobs and going pro- / semi-pro, and I ALWAYS direct them to this blog.

"beware this guy's attitude. put yourself on a schedule that keeps your mind, body, and social network strong. don't fall into his trap."

Depressing shit, man. Retardation? You should quit worrying about being snarky and think about COMPLACENCE. Where's your drive? Where are your goals? Where are you trying to be in a year or two years?

wtf?

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home